Wednesday, July 18, 2007

In the midst of Day 2

I thought Day 1 was mentally exhausting, but it was NOTHING compared to Day 2! Mission: Lego had me on the verge of tears and contemplating the possible realization this program may not be for me. But alas, with the support of my Work Group AND my Cadre Group, I pressed on. Dave, Brandy and I had no idea what we were going to do. Nivred (aka Dervin) from our Cadre group has quite a bit of Lego robotics knowledge, so we decided to hear him out in hopes he would inspire some ideas. It was time to decide on our specific Mission: Lego project...we chose to separate the 'good' and 'bad' packages. What should've felt like progress (having chosen our specific portion of the project) unfortunately didn't give us any inspiration. Again, we chose to observe Dervin in action and hope our 'inspiration' would be received via osmosis. After an hour of observation with some verbal ideas being piped in, we sat down for the challenge. Another hour passed before we learned that our interpretation of our specific project was incorrect. Thankfully Bill put us back on the right path, and within the next hour, we were on a roll! It was 5:00pm and Bill was hollering about food--who needs food when you're on a roll--and the millions of pieces of legos on the floor were replaced to their proper containers. Our work group was able to create a prototype feeder/conveyor belt system! It was tough to end on such a high note, but now with the aroma of pizza permeating the classroom food sounds pretty darn good! Bill has mentioned 'hard fun' several times throughout the days here at VirtCamp. Today, it was hard, hard, hard, hard, hard, but in the end, there was fun. I guess I'll stick it out one more day afterall...

No comments: